The odds of me being broke by 25

February 23, 2008 at 5:39 pm (Day to Day)

D.J. and I played some poker last night. It was the first time I have played in a few months. Ideally, I’d much rather play in $5 home games that go to the casino and end up smelling like a walking advertisement for Marlboro (they’re so smooth and mild. Buy Marboro). Unfortunately we have not been able to get a game together the last few times we tried so we were off to pay our respects to the Lakota. Joe inspired me to play by telling me some of his poker stories from the previous two nights—a home game Thursday, and the casino on Wednesday. He has long maintained that I should give up my lucrative career as a doughnut chef and play small stakes poker semi-professionally. I have considered it, but the lack of security and the precarious nature of the game have caused me to shy away from the game. Still, playing every now and then is fun. The game was $1/$2 no-limit hold’em, minimum buy-in was $50, $200 max. I bought in for $75. The table was full, and I ended up waiting for about fifteen minutes before getting to play. I used the time to explain proper table etiquette to D.J. since he has never played at a casino before. I also made myself aware of everybody’s chip count, betting habits, and playing habits (lose, tight). When I got to the table, it didn’t take me too long to get acclimated. After a few hands, I got a delicious A-J and limped in under the gun (mistake). There were a few more callers, and the flop came A, J, rag. I bet $5, got one caller, with the other two folding. The turn came 2. I bet $10, he folded. I assumed he had a J-rag. He turned up a jack and through it into the muck, reassuring me. A few hands later, I got a creative-looking 8-7 of diamonds. There are three things I take into consideration when determining the playability of a hand pre-flop: high-card strength, suitedness, connectedness. Typically I want two of the three factors met in order to play. The odds of winning with 8-7 suited are low, but the low odds of winning have to be stacked up against the value of winning, the typically low cost to play (it’s an easy hand to get away from when you don’t hit), and the pot/implied odds. The flop hit 9-6-queen with two diamonds, giving me both a straight and flush draw. My odds to hit the flush are roughly 2:1 and my odds of hitting the straight are roughly 2.2:1. I am looking at potentially 15 outs. The odds of making either a straight or flush by the end of the hand are 1:1.2 (making me the favorite). Pot odds dictate I play the hand through. I was under the gun and bet $10. There were two callers. The next card did not hit, making my odds diminish. The player sitting next to me made a very unhappy face when the card hit. I had no clue what the other player had, but I bet it anyways. The grumpy-faced player folded, as well as the other, giving me the pot.  I won a few more hands, walking away with $132 more than I started with. Poor D.J. on the other hand lost the $50 he started with.

I texted Joe in triumph. He responded by demanding 20% for what he called a “good advice fee”. I thought about the possibilities how hard it would be to make enough money to quit my job. If I made on average $50 a day, that would be $350/week, $1400/month, which is a considerate amount more than what I am making now. I let it slip through my mind as quickly as it came.

Last week was not the best week in terms of test grades. I had two tests last Friday, social psychology and physical anthropology. I had only missed one class in social psychology and thought I had a good handle on the material. I had very thorough notes but neglected to study them for any longer than ten minutes before the test. That was a bad idea because I ended up making a C on the test. As soon as the test was over, I looked over my notes, taking all of ten seconds for me to realize I messed up bad. Bentel’s tests are typically hard, but I did very well on them last semester, luring me into a false sense of security. I whipped
out my notes for anthropology since I had only an hour before test time. I missed a lot of days for that class but did a good job studying. A lot of answers to the test questions were implied by knowing other facts and making inferences. Still, I only made a B on the test. Both tests frustrated me since Bentel only gives three tests, making it nearly impossible for me to make an A in the classes.

Work was made a lot easier. Joe has decided to move the shifts and slightly stagger them. I will come in at one in the afternoon, with the second person coming it at three. This will get me out by nine, the other by (ideally). This will allow more sleep and the ability to work the next morning if needed. This past week was terrible in terms of schedule. I worked 25 hours, but I had to work Monday morning from 5-9, only to come back from 4:30-12:30. My schedule didn’t allow for any naps, unfortunately. My first class T-R is at 9:30, not allow for too much sleep because I had homework I had to work on before going to bed Monday night. I had to work Tuesday night, the busiest night in terms of doughnut production. We didn’t get out until about 2:00, and I had class at 10:00 Wednesday morning. I zombied through my classes and then went home to sleep the rest of the day. Anyways, this new schedule should help me out quite a bit. The lack of sleep has been one of the main reasons I have been wanting to quit for the past few weeks. This should alleviate that problem. This is until my career into poker stardom takes off.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: